Saturday 4 October 2014

Playing Farmers! Exploring the theme of Harvest

I said I would update with what we've been doing recently, so here we go.  Now we are in Autumn I've been talking to Daniel about Harvest and we've made some games and activities to go along with the theme.

The first thing we did was to make a vegetable patch that Daniel could play with...




This was a complete spur of the moment idea as I was about to throw away an empty stir fry vegetable container.  As I said earlier, I hate throwing things out if I think I can reuse them for something!  I cleaned it out, filled it with some pumpkin seeds we had in the cupboard to make the soil, then added some of Daniel's wooden toy vegetables to it (these ones are from the Tidlo range on Amazon).  Daniel had great fun putting the vegetables in and out of the 'soil' and we dug the 'soil' with our hands to help Daniel to work on overcoming some of his sensory issues.

Next up I made a harvest vegetable matching game...



These were made simply by googling some images of fruit and vegetables, printing them off and laminating them.  We played a matching game, and then I tried to teach Daniel the names of the vegetables, but that's going to need a bit of work as whatever I asked for he gave me a pumpkin... :D

Next up we did some harvest painting...



I had planned that we would paint using a carrot and an apple to do printing, but due to Daniel's sensory issues he was having none of it.  I showed him how to print using the carrot, but still he didn't trust it, so we got some paint brushes out and he had great fun.  We'll keep working on the sensory problems and hopefully we will try this activity again in the future.

And finally, we've been playing a lot with Daniel's Toot Toot Tractor that his Auntie Carley bought him.  We've been playing and talking about how tractors help farmers in their job.  I am now getting a little bit sick of its annoying little song though!


Right, I think I've rambled on enough for one night, time for bed!

Nikki x

No comments:

Post a Comment